Thursday, March 29, 2012

Count question

Hi DBA's -

Kindly help me figure out the following

My data looks like this -

Month Product Brand Revenue
-- --- --- ---
Jan A x 10
Jan A y 20
Jan B z 30

A report from the above data would be

Revenue for Jan = 60 and Product count = 2.

So I figure, I would need

Month Product Brand Revenue Flag
-- --- --- --- --
Jan A x 10 1
Jan A y 20 0 (since A is counted)
Jan B z 30 1

I want to count only the first occurence of the product in the Flag column.

Is there a way to do this.

- Vivekselect Month,
sum(Revenue),
Count(distinct Product)
from YourTable
group by Month|||select [month],
productcount=count(distinct product),
totalrevenue=sum(revenue)
from your_table
group by [month]|||hey, I just didn't click on Submit, because there other things in life, like phone calls!!!!|||Phone calls?

That's OLD TECHNOLOGY...

Your code was more complete, anyway. I confess I was being a little lazy...|||But did you notice the snippets are almost identical? This is earie...|||You are just saying that to be nice. Yours was much more colorful than mine as well. I simply lack your aesthetic sense of code.

Mine was pathetic. A shoddy hack of garbled syntax totally lacking in character or depth. In my haste to post, I neglected that which makes code enjoyable and pleasing to the senses.

I am truly ashamed.

Wait a minute... "Groupby"?

Hey! "Group by" is two words, not one! That won't even compile, much less execute!

Hmmph! Well. I guess I feel better now. :)|||Now who's a real hoot? :Dsql

No comments:

Post a Comment