Sunday, February 19, 2012

Could not allocate space for .. error

I am getting a "Could not allocate space for object 'temp_trc' in database
'Test' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full"

The database test has unrestricted growth (All the defaults). It resides on
drive c which has 4Gigs free. I added new data and log files on drive d
which is about 30G free. I know that my insert doesn't take even 1G disk
space.

Why is the database complaining about a full filegroup when I just expanded
it?

J.John Dalberg (john_dd@.hotmail.com) writes:
> I am getting a "Could not allocate space for object 'temp_trc' in database
> 'Test' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full"
> The database test has unrestricted growth (All the defaults). It resides
> on drive c which has 4Gigs free. I added new data and log files on drive
> d which is about 30G free. I know that my insert doesn't take even 1G
> disk space.

How big is the database now, and how much is set to grow at a time? The
default is 10%, so if the database is 43 GB, it cannot expand on C.

> Why is the database complaining about a full filegroup when I just
> expanded it?

What size did you make the data file on D? It may be that you need to
turn off auto-grow on the first file, so that SQL Server does not try
to expand that file first.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment