Saturday, February 25, 2012

Could not create an user to SQL Server 2005

Hi,

I am trying to add "Remote Desktop Users" as a login group to SQL Server 2005 (i.e. so they can log into management studio). I get a "Not Found Error" (see below). But it is of course found, because I selected it :-) What is going on here? I see the "Administrators" group and various SQL Server groupls added automatically there, so there must be a way, right?

I know I can add each user in the group individually, but that seems overkill when I can just use the group in which they are contained.

Here is the error I get:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Create failed for Login 'TESTSERVER\Remote Desktop Users'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.1399.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Create+Login&LinkId=20476


ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Windows NT user or group 'TESTSERVER\Remote Desktop Users' not found. Check the name again. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 15401)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=09.00.1399&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=15401&LinkId=20476


BUTTONS:

OK

This appears to be a defect within Management Studio: it qualifies the group using the machine name instead of "Builtin". I suggest that you open a bug at http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/Default.aspx and put in it the information from this thread. Let me know if you need any help with filing the bug or if you wish that I would file it instead.

In the meantime, you can create such login by executing:

create login [Builtin\Remote Desktop Users] from windows;

Thanks
Laurentiu

|||Thank you Laurentiu. The script worked. I have indeed submitted a bug.|||Please note that I am the furthest thing from an expert that one can imagine, but...

I had a similar problem, but found an easy way to solve it.

Expand Security, right click Logins and select New Login
Click Search to the right of the Login Name box
Click the button Object Types
Select the box next to Groups|||

Hi ,

I am trying to create a new user in SQL Server 2005 with windows authentication.

This is the query i am trying to run.

create login [Builtin\User1] from windows

But i am getting error like "Windows NT user or group 'Builtin\waveset1' not found. Check the name again."

And the sql server is running on SQL and windows authuntication mode.

So anybody can help me what is the wrong.

I appreciate your response.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment